Friday, March 5, 2010

My poor baby!


I feel so bad for Abby, my beautiful, precious, little girl! She complained of her tummy itching on wednesday, and after looking I noticed that she had a rash. So I proceeded to call her school to make sure that nothing was going around her school that she could of caught. There wasn't, so I took her to the doctor, to see what was causing the rash.

Upon getting to the doctor, they looked at her and immediately ruled out chicken pox and a few other rashes. After looking in the dermatology book, she could not find anything that looked like the rash that she had, and decided that Abby was having a reaction from the shots she received two weeks ago and sent us on our way.

Upon returning home, we just continued on with our normal activities, including school since we were told it was nothing contagious. Thursday when she woke up I took her temp, to make sure she had not developed one, which she hadn't and checked her rash, which actually looked better. After school I checked her again and the rash continued to improve, so I stopped worrying about it, until I checked at dinner time. The rash had gone from steadily improving to being worse than the first time I had looked at it. Luckily for Abby she was in no pain, and it only itched a little, but not enough to bug her. I called her doctor since she had told me to call if it got worse, and talked to the ding bat secretary, and she couldn't help, nor have the time to pay attention to my concerns, so I rudely hung up on her and called my mom, who(m) is a nurse practitioner. Mom proceeded to tell me that "there is no rash that is fatal, calm down" so I did

Friday morning the rash had also started to go down (in a weird way it seemed to do this after sleep) so I thought nothing about it until after lunch when it once again had progressed. So we went yet again to the doctor. (FYI its bad when a walk-in-clinic knows you by name! ) Where they had 3 different people look at her, 2 nurse practitioners and 1 doctor. They finally decided that Abby did not have a reaction from her shots, she as a condition called Pityriasis Rosea.

So the research that I have done says that this is a skin condition that is harmless, both to Abby and in not contagious! Apparently they don't know what causes it, there is no medicine to make it go away, and it lasts 4-8 weeks. The rash stays on mostly the chest and back, may go up the neck and down the arms and legs, although with Abby it stops at her bottom, chin and elbows. So basically it just looks horrid! (and itches a bit)

No comments:

Post a Comment