Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Any Ideas for dinner tonight?

Well I got one!

As we all know I have a list of foods that could send me to heaven at any moment! They include in no particular order:
- goat cheese, I love how creamy and tangy it is and that it melts in your mouth!
-chocolate
-sauteed mushrooms
- nice piece of ribeye
-butter
-butter
-butter
-and yes more butter
-almond flavoring ( don't ask me why but oh man!!!!!)
-oreos but only the double stuffed (I will finally eat the cookie, but that is just a recent thing, since Abby started throwing her cookie part away I gave in, I mean I could easily make the filling I know how but I am just too lazy!)
- I think I could also put cumin in any recipe ever! (I have like 3 jars in m cabinet)
-sour cream
-well any soft cheese almost
-reeses peanut butter EGGS! I like the peanut butter its different than real pb!

But anyway getting back to my dinner plan for you!
Beef Stroganoff
I have done this with a roast as well as a skirt steak as well as with button mushrooms and portabella. I prefer the skirt steak and portabella but either will work!

I will give you both recipes one is done in a crock pot while the other is done on the stove using a broiler for the meat!
Both of these feed approx 4-6
Crockpot version

2lb chuck roast
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup beef broth (you can also use 2 cups hot water and 2 beef bullion cubes)
8 oz sour cream
8 oz button mushrooms
2 tbs butter
1 tbs flour
1 tbs onion powder

In your crockpot mix together your broth, mushroom soup and onion powder.
Place the roast in the crockpot with the liquid mixture and set to cook on low for 6-8 hours.
When meat is done I took it out to mix remaining ingredients.

I sauteed the mushrooms, I like he salty flavor that they obtain (not to mention that I can just eat them on their own) but you don't have too. You can just put them into the liquid mixture until they are tender.

I also found that my "gravy" was a little thin so I made a rue and thickened it up. To do this in a sauce pan melt the 2 tbs of butter and then add the 1 tbs of flour, after you have mixed these together add some of the liquid from the crockpot to thin out the flour mixture (I mixed about 1.5-2 cups of liquid) then pour it back into the crockpot. Add the mushrooms and the sour cream.

I shredded the roast before putting it back in the crockpot, but you do not have to. Then pour over "tickle noodles" as Abby calls them really egg noodles. I serve mine with peas!

Ok the better of the two ways!
1.5-2 lb skirt steak
2 portabella caps
8 oz sour cream
2 cups of beef broth (or bullion)

Preheat your oven to broil, Make sure that your top rack is about 5 inches from the top. On a cookie sheet, season the skirt steak with salt and pepper (don't forget to do this to both sides).

While the oven is preheating is the perfect time to cut your portabella mushrooms. I cut them in half and then cut them into strips, so that they would match the skirt steak.

Sautee the mushrooms and add 2 cups of chicken broth and simmer for 20 minutes.

After the oven is preheated, place your steak under the broiler for 10 minutes, flipping in the middle! (I prefer mine more done so I cook mine about 15 minutes)
When steak is done allow to rest for another 10 minutes.

When you take the steak out, it is time to add the sour cream to your mushroom/broth mixture. Make sure to mix if well. Just trust me! This is my favorite part!

After the steak has rested cut it in maybe .25 inch thick strips AGAINST the grain, meaning the grain goes this way ====== and you will cut this way ////. Then put the meat in the sauce and serve over tickle noodles!

I hope that you enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Yummmmmmmmm!!!

    I wanna make the "better" version. It sounds DELICIOUS!

    And to add to your list of foods--NUTELLA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know whats weird? I haven't had nutella since I was a child, and I didn't like it! I guess I need to venture back into the world of nutella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you totally should. It is full of all kinds of awesome! On bread or crepes...add some strawberries...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete