Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Newly promoted Staff Sergeant Warren

Remember yesterday when I told you I was going to make a post daily? Remember that? I do and am now kicking myself in the head. Okay not really but you know. Back on point, I fully intend to get something posted everyday no matter what it is! You will have to bear with me though, I will be posting from my cell phone. That's right thank goodness for my android. This means that spelling and grammar and editing are pretty much out the window for the most part.

Brad told me quiet a while ago he was going to be taking our computer to work with him for a while so that he would be able to do homework in his spare time. A completely legitimate excuse right? Right!

Now we do have another laptop, but it is confined to a desk with a screen that does not stay up, it is being held up by the wall behind it, (not to mention that it poops on itself anytime you try to open more than one tab and just use any sort of Internet. But hey no big deal, the apple computer is just a luxury I don't really need it, I can do everything I need to do on the old one or my phone). This computer has also been designated as Abby's computer. So whether she is using it or not we get yelled at for touching it and then she immediately decides that she needs to play some type of game because we sit down at it. You know she is only 4 for another 2 months!
But again back to point, Brad is getting promoted with this new job which is amazing! If we were still "Real Army" not just national guard, he would probably have just gotten promoted as well, so we are still on the same track that we should be. (As you can tell I am extremely proud of him). Brad's new job is and AGR job, which is Active Guard Reserve. This means that he is active duty military but is paid by the National Guard. We get all the benefits of active duty military, minus the moving, (and hopefully as many deployments! It is very unlikely with this unit, so as long as he doesn't transfer he should not get deployed.)
A lot of the reason we got out of the military was the constant moves and threat of deployments. I know for me personally, we were told that we were on the list for a tour in Korea which would not have been a problem if I had not been expecting, and him scheduled to go as well. I know that A LOT of my friends have sacrificed their time with their families to do as they needed, but I had an extremely hard time with, especially being dual military! I can not tell you how proud I am of all the WONDERFUL parents that have graciously gone overseas whether it was to participate in missions in hostile territory or to serve a one year tour in Korea! These men and women have my utmost respect and admiration! Thank you for being brave enough to do something that I could not emotionally do!
The active component of military offers so many great benefits, most importantly being health care! We all know how horrible health care can be, both with coverage, monthly payments, co-pays, and deductibles! The health care the military has can not be beat. Yes it is frustrating having to get referrals for everything and only having a handful of doctors/clinics to choose from, but if you are patient you can find something that will work for your situation. The positives FAR out weigh the negatives! The health care is one of the best benefits you can get. Not to mention the stability! Unless you are trying to get out (even then it doesn't always work) you really can not get out until your contract is up. There are obviously ways out, but as long as you are doing what you are supposed to do, just like at every other job in the world, you can't be let go just because the company is down sizing, or your position is being abolished.
Active military is not for everyone! It is going to be frustrating and hard at times. But when you have a positive outlook and know that you are doing the best you can, the military can only make your life easier. We know that for our family, no matter how much others don't agree, that it is the best for us. The benefits far out weigh the negative. The fact that we are secure financially, with health care, and are able to confidently take care of our kids makes the military the right place for us. We are so thankful for this opportunity that has been bestowed upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment